A planetary mixer is the best tool for mixing and kneading thick pastes in either an atmosphere or a vacuum. It is a piece of industrial machinery designed to make pastry dough or similar products, using a mechanical system that allows for the continuous production of vast amounts of dough. Now what about when we say a double planetary mixer? What is it?
Double Planetary Mixer
A double planetary mixer is a device for mixing high-viscosity adhesives and sealants. Potentially as high as 200,000 cps in viscosity. The chemical industry is its primary user—for example, ms polymer, resin, silicone sealant, solder paste, and gelatin jelly adhesive.
This machine comprises a mixing bowl and two beaters that circle the bowl on a common axis while spinning around their respective axes. The three kinds of beaters on the double planetary mixer are the rectangular beater profile, finger blades, and helical blades. The mixing ingredient is charged into the flat-bottomed cylindrical cylinder. The blades drive the material from the vessel wall to the center, circling the circumference continuously.
A double planetary mixer’s driving system consists of a motor and a gearbox that powers the planetary head. Variable speed drives enable the operation of the mixer across a wide range of speeds, delivering significant torques even at slower rates. Underneath the driving mechanism is a cylindrical cover for the bowl that has viewing apertures, nozzles, and a liquid spray setup. The shaft seals of this vertical design mixer are not in direct touch with the process material, which is a significant advantage.
The nozzles on the lid, or the bowl itself, may be used to put materials into the mixer. A hydraulic system raises or lowers the mixer’s bowl or motor mechanism. The mixer bowl may be “jacketed” to allow for the passage of heating or cooling medium. Both pressure and vacuum versions of the mixer are possible. After mixing, a scoop removes the final product from the bowl. For very thick substances, automatic discharge systems use hydraulic power to push the substance through the discharge valve.
Depending on the qualities of the mixing material and the blade type, the motor power for the double planetary mixer may range from 30 to 50 kW / m3. Because of its vertical design, the double planetary mixer’s bowl can handle a volume between 20% and 85% of its full capacity.
What Does the Double Mean?
Double planetary mixers, or twin planetary mixers, use two separate mixing paddles to provide a low-speed mixing action. It creates specifically for blending thick substances. Most materials with high viscosity are very thick and dense, necessitating a mixing paddle that can withstand a great deal of pressure. As a result, casting is widely used in the production of paddles. And a very robust motor is required to propel it. The mixing power of a double planetary is typically double that of a homogenizing emulsifier of the same capacity. Therefore, it is sometimes referred to as a potent mixer.
Double Planetary Mixer Application
Mixing Low-Viscosity Material
Because of their unique properties, certain materials need a specialized mixer machine. The simple mixing method can be sufficient if the product is a liquid. Cream, lotion, ointment, and sauce are low-viscosity substances that need a high-shear homogenizing emulsifying mixer.
Mixing High-Viscosity Material
While the typical mixer design, such as an emulsifier mixer, would not be suitable for high-viscosity materials such as adhesives, sealants, pastes, and glues. In this case, we need a more robust mixing method. The twin planetary mixer was invented after thousands of trials and errors. High-viscosity materials may be mixed successfully with this kind of mixer. The viscosity may reach values of 200,000 cps or more.
Double Planetary Mixers Also Refer To What Type of Mixer?
The term “double planetary mixer” refers to two types of mixing systems. The two types of mixing systems are named rotation mixing and revolution mixing, respectively. As a result, each mixing paddle has two distinct mixing orbits.
Because of the random rotation, each paddle may go in its direction at its own pace. With a revolution mixing system, the whole gearbox would spin, and the paddles would spin along with it at the same rate.
The double planetary mixer may use either the planetary or the orbital mixing method. Both rotary mixing and rotational mixing refer to the same process.
Double Planetary Mixer Structure
The mixer machine‘s visible components are the frame, top cover, mixing tank, mixing system, and control cabinet. The steel framework has been treated to prevent rusting. The outside of the structure may be either painted steel or stainless steel. Any color applies to the client’s desires for the paint job. Stainless steel is used for the top cover. You may choose between 304 and 316 stainless steel.
Double Planetary Mixer Driving System
The whole control system is integrated into the cover. It has a high-speed dispersion shaft, a scraper, a temperature sensor, and a gearbox. The top cover also has auxiliary function components. LED light, backup inlet, viewing glass, and vacuum pipe valve are all included. The material might be added to the tank via the backup intake at any point in the mixing cycle. We can keep an eye on the mixing process via the glass window.
Double Planetary Mixer Main Functions
You may add a vacuum system to the double planetary mixer. This vacuum setup serves the same purpose as the emulsifying homogenizer. Ultimately, this method gets rid of air bubbles in the finished product.
- Tank Structure: Stainless steel makes up the whole tank. All tanks typically have three layers, also refer to as a “three layers water jacket.” The outside layer is for insulation, while the inside layer is medium. Two, three, or one layers of the water jacket are optional if the final temperature is below 60 degrees Celsius. And outfit the tank’s outside water intake and outlet.
- Temperature Test: This device has two sets of temperature sensors if the temperature constantly changes. One is in the jacketed tank and moves with the revolution system to check the medium temperature, while the other is in the tank and checks the temperature directly. The temperature readings we acquire using this method will be quite precise. Because thick materials have a lower thermal conductivity, this might prevent heating unevenness.
- Heat Method: Heating is a critical role as well. The electric pipe heater may be custom-made for volumes up to 300 liters. However, a steam generator or mold temperature controller may boost productivity for larger capacities. Water might apply as a heating medium in any of the heating devices. Because the desired temperature is higher than 120 degrees Celsius, conduction oil will be essential as the heating medium. After the last of the mixing, we’ll hook up the cold water from the faucet to the tank.
In comparison to the others, the mixing mechanism is the most crucial and intricate. In terms of mixing technique, you may choose between rotational and revolution mixing and high-speed and low-speed mixing, respectively. Four individual components make up the mixing system.
- Revolution Mixing: The machine’s macroscopic mixing is the result of the revolutions mixing system. In order for the mixing paddle to travel across the entire tank and the mixing shaft to move in the same orbit, the structure must be in the tank’s top cover. The frequency converter allows for speeds between 0 and 65 revolutions per minute (RPM) while mixing revolution. This might ensure that the contents of the tank are well mixed.
- Rotation Mixing: In contrast to revolution mixing, rotation mixing involves individual movement of the mixing shafts—high-velocity dispersal, scraper, temperature sensor shaft, and mixing paddle all in one convenient package.
Low-Speed and High-Speed Mixing
There are two distinct mixing techniques included inside the shaft itself. There is rapid mixing, and there is also slow mixing. Mixing occurs at a low speed of roughly 0-65 RPM. A double mixing paddle, scraper, and temperature sensor shaft must all move slowly.
High-velocity sprinkling is a subset of high-velocity mixing. The maximum RPM can reach is 36,000. Adhesive, sealant, and paste are all products that benefit significantly from rapid powder dispersion. The highly scattered disc may rapidly distribute the powder over the whole tank. One dispersing shaft is installed if the volume is less than 300 liters. This mixing paddle would take on various forms, each tailored to the specific needs of the mixing material. Screw style, multi-paddle style, H-style, and so on are some of our most often-used classes.
This double planetary mixer has capacities ranging from 2 liters to two thousand liters. It finds extensive use in the manufacture of sealants and adhesives in the chemical industry. Because of the difficulty in directing the flow of such thick substances, a press discharge machine adapted for the extrusion of finished products is essential.
Linking a filling machine with this press device is also possible. In this scenario, there would be no need to install a second reservoir. We may put the substance straight into the cartridge or tube. It could reduce our buying costs and the number of people we need to employ.
Using a double planetary mixer when working with high-viscosity materials is best. Different materials have distinct properties, thus modifying mixing methods. Large amounts of powder include in the high-viscosity substance’s formula, and the high-speed dispersion disc would uniformly mix the material. The tank will also have heating capabilities; heating might demonstrate the mixing process and enable us to quickly get the most excellent end product.